Hello people opportunity alert.. STEM Prize…yayy! I know I am a strong promoter and advocate of STEM
The STEM Prize was established to encourage young Cameroonians and Africans, especially girls and young women to pursue careers in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. This competition brings together young scholars from both secondary and tertiary schools (between the ages of 13 and 21 years old) to design projects that have the greatest potential of positively changing their communities. Based on the recommendations of the evaluators at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation, winners will be chosen and prizes presented to them.
Goal of The STEM Prize Competition
Science and technology are becoming the most pervasive forces in our global economy and modern society. In other words, the growth and ultimately the success of any economy in these modern times depend heavily on their investment and improvement in the fields of science and technology. As our society becomes increasingly environmentally aware, health conscious, and reliant on technology, it is normal it becomes more dependent on students pursuing studies in STEM.
A few years ago, the Government of Cameroon (GoC) launched its strategy to make Cameroon an emerging economy by the year 2035. For this vision to be realised, Cameroon needs to produce more professionals in the field of STEM by increasing the number of youths studying courses in STEM from 10% to at least 30%.
Read the more about the goals, eligibility and program requirement here
A total of 5,000,000 FCFA (approximately $10,000 USD) will be awarded in prizes and will be distributed as follows:
- Winning team: 1,500,000 FCFA ($3000 USD)
- 1st Runner Up: 1,000,000 FCFA ($2000 USD)
- 2nd Runner Up: 500,000 FCFA ($1000 USD)
- Other individual prizes: 2,000,000 FCFA (? $4000 USD)
The foundation will work with all winning teams to get their projects up and running.
- 02 Jun 2016: Official Online Launching of STEM Prize.
- 02 Jun 2016 – 31 Jul 2016: Registration and submission of proposals by candidates.
- 01 Jul 2016 – 21 Jul 2016: Publicity of program and event through media (TV & Radio).
- 01 Jul 2016 – 21 Jul 2016: Communication using talks, online posts and flyers to student bodies and target groups.
- 01 Aug 2016 – 21 Aug 2016: Review and shortlisting of top projects.
- 23 Aug 2016: Official invitations sent to top teams.
- 14 Sept 2016 – 16 Sept 2016: 3 day training event for shortlisted teams.
- 22 Aug 2016 – 23 Sept 2016: Final planning of award ceremony.
- 28 Oct 2016: Award’s Ceremony
Spread the word..and apply!! Thumps up to the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation for promoting STEM!